Things I have learned

Since I started this, I knew that I wanted to focus on generational differences. The only thing was, I didn't know how to narrow this down. I finally landed on something I didn't think I would every want to talk about. But here I am researching Donald Trump and his language or "Trumpisms". I wanted to see how his use of language affects how different generations perceive him.  Through this I have actually learned a few things: 

1. EVERY generation sucks at returning emails and phone calls. ;)
2. Except my 15 year old sister who was quick but sent all the responses via text. 
3. I don't know very many people who support Trump. 

Through this project, I am really starting to see how I have taken myself out of the conversation with people who support Trump and I can see how I am helping creating this polarized society. It's not a pretty picture and I have to admit, I am scared to death to talk to Trump supporters. So we shall see how this goes. 

Comments

  1. Janie,

    I was taken with the fact that your project made you reflective about your own biases and opinions in relation to Trump and politics. I completely relate. For most of my adult life my best friends have been on the other side of the political divide. Growing up I watched my parents handle the same situation with class and understanding, so I've always tried to do the same. Knowing that several of my friends voted for someone I despise so intensely has been much more of a challenge than I thought possible. After the initial anger and shock subsided, I have tried to understand their reasons, and while I don't agree with those reasons, I am a little less fired up than I was. When my oldest son was in high school, he and his best friend (also on the opposite end of the political spectrum) began a government club in which members got together to civilly discuss politics and the issues of the day. Six years later a group of them got together for a weekend to do the same. So now I learn from my children!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts