Four and Three and Two and One.....

As I was thinking about this question, I went through every show I watched. I realized it was hard to find a show that encapsulated the female experience.
The best show I could think of was Broad City. Broad City is a show that follows Abbi and Ilana as they live their lives in New York City. They are in their mid to late 20s and trying to get their lives together (as most of us in that age group are) Sure some of the situations they find themselves in are out there for the sake of comedy but I think that they show an accurate depiction of what female friendship is. They go through ups and downs but always have each other to count on. They also show a side to women that isn’t necessarily the usual pretty, pixie manic dream girl aesthetic. They aren’t disposable characters to uplift any male on the show. They show that women can also enjoy smoking weed or having causal sex without shame. I like that they use satire as a way to poke fun at cultural phemons like whole foods, co-ops or waiting in line 4 hours for a “Churro macaroon”.  Broad City is also written and produced by the lead actors Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer and reflects on their real friendship. (Also as an added awesome, Amy Poehler is also and executive producer so you know it’s good)  


If you haven’t already seen it, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Comments

  1. Janie, I couldn't agree more Broad City is amazing so is Chewing Gum. There is certainly a variety of depictions of women right now. I think we are so used to that being media that when prodded it goes over our heads. I also thought about how revolutionary the show Roseanne was and still is, the diverse depictions of women are there even if not the most mainstream. However, I still think there's more work to do specifically for women of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Broad City during its first season, but I have to admit the show's humor is often very crude for my tastes. The characters sometimes come off as female versions of all those Seth Rogen "loser" characters. It can be funny but it can also be annoying. But, you are right, the depiction of female friendship in the show is refreshing....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts