Prompt 5: Polarization, Good or Bad?

Personally, I don't believe that these new formats are to blame for polarization because I believe that a polarized or divided political climate has always existed. Though out history, there have always been extremely opposing views on how things should be done. From the founding fathers debating the direction the new country, to the emancipation of slaves which led to a full on war to keep the other side from seceding, to giving women the right to vote to desegregation and civil rights. The list is endless. I think that these programs are mostly for entertainment. Yes, they have a certain responsibility to actually educate an audience and in many ways they do. But I think that it is also our responsibility as people to be critical consumers of media. As for mutual respect aspect, I'm not sure. I see some people successfully look past political leanings and others who can't. In part it comes down to how you consume and understand the information being presented and in the other is how you process emotions and your emotional intelligence.

Comments

Popular Posts