Prompt 3

I think that Political Science, Economics and History are probably the most well represented disciplines in the media. Currently, the biggest stories of our time revolve around politics, money and the influence past events have them.  It’s interesting to note however, money/economics are discussed in a way that targets wealth. The media doesn’t address how some economic forces and bad politics have left a lot of people very poor.  I think to that affect, sociology is left out of the discussion.

As a person of color, I rarely see people like me represented. If a person of color is represented, they are often used as the token POC, used only to agree with a point being made by a white narrative. If you want an example of this, look up Stacy Dash.  

The media’s holds a white, hetero, able-bodied narrative. I am not saying that those perspectives don’t matter but rather that our perspectives matter too!


I think that in the media, issues that surround LGBT POC are often ignored; as are the perspectives that come from people who are disabled. There is also a lack of representation of Islam in a positive light. There is such a misunderstanding of Islam and what it means to be Muslim. The media could do a better job of educating the public by letting Muslims lead the conversation. 

Comments

  1. "The media’s holds a white, hetero, able-bodied narrative. I am not saying that those perspectives don’t matter but rather that our perspectives matter too!" I like this, Inclusivity matters!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts